- Got 2 coats of clear on the drivers side inside fender this
evening(take some pics tomorrow). Going through my supplies I
noticed that the POR15 I used on the frame rails isn't UV safe :(.
31-Aug 3 - I got the clear coat(2) on the drivers side
fender, unfortunately I think I sprayed the paint coat on too dry.
The clear doesn't look that great, bit bumpy in spots. (just ahead
of pdc) Not going to redo it. Repainted my motor mounts yet again
this time I used the proper PCH factory paint (caliper paint looked
so so) Gave them 2 coats of flex/filler/primer, 2 paint & 2 clear
coats. They turned out really good. I also redid the cover for the pdc. Gave it 2 coats of flex/filler/primer & wet sanded the
top of it smooth & then 2 coats of paint. The 2nd coat bubbled
badly so I had to strip it down to bare plastic & redo it. Looks
great now (2 clear coats ontop also).
Aug 5 -
7 - Not that I want to but have to give the frame rails in
the engine compartment another 2 coats. Originally I used POR15
gloss paint unfortunately the one I used isn't UV safe. Put it off as long
as I can lol. Scuffed up the frame rails & papered everything up to
protect it. Doing one side at a time. Using POR15 Top Coat gloss
black. Its going to take 2 full coats to make sure I get it all
covered. Don't want to risk having the hood open in direct sunlight
& have the gloss turn to flat black where ever the sun hits it.
27-29 - Put the Precision Industry billet torque converter in
the trans. Its the Viper 9.5" with 3800rpm stall (35lbs w/1qt of
trans fluid). They supply spacers to mount between the trans & mtr
that are 1/4" thick so I polished them (like anyone but me will see
them lol). Knocked out the dowels from the mtr & put the longer
dowels PI supplies in the trans along with studs. Their instructions
were a bit off & studs they supplied were the wrong size. I ended up
cutting some studs from 1/2" threaded rod I had. I reorganized the
garage & put a bunch of stuff outside (file cabinet/stove/etc) so I
could install the 408. Unfortunately I only got within 3" of having
it installed when I had the crane against the bumper. Had always
used Jim's (HP Indy) crane to pull/install my motor & obviously the
one I bought is a bit too short on the boom. The motor is now back
on the engine stand. Removed the front bumper & seeing its off Ill
be cleaning up the last bit of the frame out front before I finally
put the mtr in.
Cleaned up the frame (behind bumper), degreased & took the wire
wheel to it, treated it with POR Metal prep (Zinc oxide) & gave it 2
coats of POR15 gloss so it matches the rest of the frame.
10-11 Dropped the 408 in & bolted it to
the mounts & semi bolted to the trans.
Took me a good 8hrs. & 2 attempts (lots of bruises) & unfortunately
scratched up some of my fresh paint work. Had to move the trans back
a bit from where I had it. 2 of the supplied studs that came with the
Precision Industries Viper 3800stall tc were the wrong size. When I
got the motor in the studs just spun when I put the bolts on so had
to cut new/longer ones so I could also add nuts on the back side of
the trans case to try & keep them from spinning. Another
part of PI's instructions wanted the dowels removed from the block &
pressed into the trans case. I followed the instructions regardless
of my thought they would just push out when bolting the motor to the
trans. As I feared, the block
pushed the dowels out the back side of the trans case.. Tried to
pound them in from the back side (heating engine block) & no matter
what I tried they wouldn't go back into the block.
- GOOD BYE to my 99 2500 V10 4x4, after 11 faith full years she has been replaced. Now the
proud owner of a 2011 1500 Bighorn Ram 4x4. Ended up going with
silver seeing there was so much chrome on it & the fact that blue or
black (contemplated both) would take a lot more work to keep looking
clean. Pictures of the new truck coming.
- Got distracted with the new 4x4. It came at a good
time as I needed a break from working in the garage. Really
annoyed with the 408 install. As it turns out probably for the best
as I found out HP Indy wasnt able to get the ICS Titan head gaskets
to seal on his 408. I yanked the mtr back out & have it on the stand
again. Pulled the dowels out of the trans & re-installed them
in the block (where I knew they needed to be). Its going to make
installing the mtr even trickier next time cause the dowels in the
trans case would hold the spacers in place. Now Ill have to add them
while the mtr is still hanging from the crane.
- Worked on fixing the paint & clear coat on the firewall &
both motor mounts that I damaged trying to get the motor installed
the last time. Add some pics later
- Went out to Toronto Motorsports park with the 2011
just to see what she would do. The track condition wasn't that
great, they only opened one lane & were only timing to 1/8m (not
full 1/4m). They didn't start running TT till just after 1pm.
Considering the truck only has 3800km (2375miles) on it & about 1/2
tank of gas in completely stock form the factory it ran pretty
good. It was consistent at 9.8/72mph when I didnt spin off the line.
Wife took some video that I will load later when I get a
chance to edit it.
Based on ET &
MPH this would be approx 15.1-15.3 et on the 1/4m which IMHO is
pretty decent for a 5500lb truck w/33" tall tires & 20" rims & 3.55